Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Happy Anniversary, Charles

Today would have been our 26th wedding anniversary. Instead of celebrating with me, you are in heaven celebrating. Someone told me to think about good memories of you today and so here goes.

I showed some of our old pictures to Kristin today and it brought back so many good memories. While we were dating, we were always building something, fixing something, cutting down trees, or hauling logs. Boy, I never knew that I would think of those as the fun days. You took some pictures of me while we were building your solar shed, but they were all “butt” shots. I was pretty skinny then and you told me I had a nice butt. Lol Looking back at those pictures, yeah wish I looked like that now. I went through the pictures of the snow that kept up snowbound for a week when we had first gotten married. I loved that house and used to call it our “love nest”. I especially liked the swing you built for me and put it on that big flat rock overlooking our creek. We used to sit out there while it was raining because you had that nice wood shingle roof on it.

I can remember that we had about 20 dogs that would chase us out the driveway of the morning. Of course, we weren’t around anybody and nobody cared about all of the barking. I can remember the time we came home at midnight and a tree had fallen across the driveway to our house and we didn’t have a good flashlight as we walked almost a mile to the house and we were both scared to death and then we had to drive back up to cut the tree up so we could go on to our house.

I remember the time that I won the fur coat in Dallas. I had 12 of my consultants there, including my mother, you, and Christi. I knew I was in the top 50 in the nation. You told me that my mother looked around and told everyone to not get their hopes up because I would not win anything. You told me that Christi burst out crying and my friend, Cherry took her closer to the stage so they could get a picture of me coming out to get my fur coat. Yes, I knew I was in the top 10 when they started numbering us off outside, but I didn’t know where. I remember you telling me how you cheered and clapped as #11 came out onto the stage and the man next to you said, oh is that your wife, I bet you’re really proud of her. And you responded, Hell no, my wife has won a fur coat! You said it made you even happier when I was not #10 or #9, but I was #8.

I remember when I made Director-In Qualification, you sent me flowers at TVA and your card said “Congratulations to my VIP, DIQ, and lover forever, for all things come to him who works his ass off.” You always could make me laugh.

I have a million good memories of you, because you had faith in me and kept telling me how smart I am. I grew up in a very negative family and had a low opinion of myself and you gave me courage to step out and do things that I never thought I could possibly do.

Happy Anniversary, Charles, and I will always love you and I miss you terribly.
DR
9/1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment