Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving - 2011

Thanksgiving started on Monday of “Thanksgiving Week” for me this year. I help in the kitchen at The Crossing and on Monday we cooked about 80 corn muffins with celery and onion already chopped up in them so the dressing would cook without any of us worrying about whether the onion and celery would be done. Christi prepared two turkeys that were donated and she prepared her basting consisting of orange zest, mandarin oranges, orange juice and I really don’t know the rest. All I know is that I cut both of my thumbs while “zesting”. Ed really got a kick out of that and, you know, you shouldn’t make fun because guess what? He cut one of his fingers. Oh well, so we’re old and we have accidents. If you’re wondering, no there was not any blood or lost band aides in the food.

Tuesday we finished the meal. We had Turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, rolls, and Jonathan and I made “little Turkeys” for dessert. I melted chocolate and heavy cream and dipped Oreo cookies into the mixture. Jonathan did most of the decorating of the cookies—candy corn went around the edge, a yellow candy disc in the center with a red jelley bean for the nose and we made “eyes” with the chocolate. Jonathan said he never wants to see another candy corn!

Wednesday, I rested! I had to, I couldn’t walk. My feet hurt when I stand too long.

Thursday, Christi and Jonathan went with me to assisted living to eat lunch with my dad. He didn’t feel very well but he sure cleaned his plate and ate his piece of cheesecake. The food was good and everyone seemed to have a good time. A lady was at the table next to us and she went ahead and ate her lunch, but her family never showed up. To me that was so sad. The funny thing was that she told us that she and another lady had had a fight over my dad and when she left, she leaned over to him and said, Bye Honey.

Friday, was Thanksgiving over at Christi’s. I have to confess that she is a marvelous cook! Turkey, dressing, corn casserole, broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes with fresh green onions mixed in (fresh from Leon’s garden the night before), rolls, sweet tea, coffee, pumpkin pie, coconut pie, pecan pie, and egg custard pie made especially for Scott’s mother. Kila brought a strawberry dessert and her famous pretzels wrapped with bacon. Jonathan made the potatoes and two of the pies. He is really getting good. Alex joined us, which also included Ed, Kila, Reba Underwood, Scott, Christi, and Jonathan. I missed Christopher, but he was working!!!! Scott took him a plate to his work.

I really enjoyed Thanksgiving this year, but I have to admit I miss Charles and my mother. I know they are both in a better place, but this year I had a harder time with it than last year. Maybe it’s the realization they are really, really gone. The good thing is that one day I’ll see them again!

DR
11/26/11

No comments:

Post a Comment