Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Beat It

The year was 1988. I needed a new car. We looked everywhere, and finally Charles asked me what do you really want? I told him I had always wanted an RX 7. He checked the prices and he told me that an RX 7 was out of our price range, and he gave me a number that we couldn’t go over. Right now, I don’t remember what that number was. After that weekend, there was a huge ad in the newspaper from Scenic City Mazda. They used to be on Rossville Boulevard, and guess what, there was an RX 7 advertised under Charles’ quote to me. He was still working at TVA downtown then, and I called him and told him that God wanted me to have that car. He told me he would meet me at the dealership at noon. I took the ad with me. You see, they only advertise one car at the sales price in the newspaper but they put the VIN number in. The salesman told us that there wasn’t an RX 7 there for that price. But, I am very persistent, and I found it! The salesman asked if we wanted to take it for a test drive and of course I said yes! That salesman really trusted us because only 2 people could ride in that car. It was gray with kind of a dark red interior and of course had the 5-speed shift in the floor. As I started the car and proceeded to go to the road, Charles asked me what I thought, and I looked at him and I said, “I think I’m in love!” Of all the cars I have had in my lifetime, that RX 7 was my favorite. I kept it about 10 years. I guess you’re wondering why I put the title as “Beat It”. I used to play Michael Jackson’s Beat It and it was great to shift gears to. I listened to “Beat It” in my car the other day, and it brought back my memories of getting my RX 7 and how much I loved to drive it. It’s a wonder I never got a ticket because it was so easy to do 100 mph in that car. Funny how a song can bring back “fun” memories DR 10/30/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment