Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Dunkin' Donuts

Construction started a couple of months ago on Signal Mountain Road beside the new Zaxby’s and Baskin Robbins. I had heard that it would be Starbucks and I’m really not crazy about Starbucks. Today I passed by and the signs were up—Dunkin’ Donuts. I immediately thought back to something that happened years ago. One night Charles and I had a terrible argument. It must not have been too serious because I don’t even remember what it was over. Anyway, we were in our Chattanooga apartment and he stormed out and it was 11 p.m. After about an hour when he didn’t come back, I started calling our house on Lookout Mountain. I thought he was probably being stubborn and just not answering. So, I got into my car, I had an RX7 at the time, and drove home. Boy at 1 o’clock in the morning going down that mile long driveway was really scary. I parked and the house was all dark and no Charles. I went into the house just to check and see if he had been there, but it didn’t look like it. I left to go back to Chattanooga. I got to the foot of the mountain when a Nissan truck flew past me. I thought there he goes. So I turned around and went back up the mountain and went down that dark driveway again and when I got to the house, still no Charles. I got back into my car and headed toward Chattanooga. By this time, I was praying and asking God to please keep him safe. All the time I was still calling his cell phone and the phone in Chattanooga. I was beside myself until I turned into the driveway and there sat Charles’ truck and the lights inside were all off. I burst into the door turning on the lights and asking him where he had been. He said he didn’t want to talk about it and just come to bed. I didn’t want to come to bed, I wanted to know why he wouldn’t answer any phone. He just said, come to bed. So reluctantly I went to bed and in the stillness and quietness and darkness, I realized where he had been. I asked, “What kind of donut did you have with your hot chocolate?” He giggled and said “Toasted Coconut, how did you know?” I said “That’s the only place open this late.” So, all was well. I had to get up early to meet a friend for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. It was my birthday. She handed me my card and it said, “To my warm and crazy friend.” I laughed and said, do you want to know how crazy??? DR 8/21/13

No comments:

Post a Comment