Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veteran's Day - 2012

Today I’m remembering that my dad served in World War II. I’m really thankful that he did because I was able to get him VA benefits for him and my mother when they were in assisted living. I remember when I first started the process my dad said you won’t ever get anything. I asked him if he had ever tried and he said yes. I asked him when and he said right after he got out of the service. I laughed and told him that he didn’t have me to get them for him. He said he didn’t care, I wouldn’t get anything. Well, it was a long process. You wouldn’t believe the hours and hours I put in—not only on the computer trying to fill out forms but also going over to the VA center at Eastgate. There were many days that I got over there before 8 a.m. and stayed minimum of 4 hours. It was worth it though. Because of the VA benefits my mother and dad were able to be taken care of properly. I wanted to be able to take them into my home, but my husband had also gotten ill at the same time. At first when everyone got sick, I have to admit that I felt sorry for myself. I kept asking myself, why me? Why is all of this happening to me and then I realized that it wasn’t “me”. I was the person here who could take control and know what to do and do what was right for each one of them. Yes, at times it hurt. At times my dad who had never raised his voice to me in my life took all of his frustrations and hurts out on me. I was a Daddy’s girl and he always defended me about any and everything. Charles helped me as long as he was able to and he would ride with me to assisted living. It meant a lot to just have him in the car to help me with my emotions after I left both of them. My mother was in her own little world while my dad had complete control of his senses. He couldn’t deal with all that was taking place. Because the VA benefits kicked in I no longer had to do their laundry every week. I was able to pay assisted living to take care of that. I remember one time I walked in with about 4 laundry baskets that I had folded—just for my mother—and a man asked if I did laundry for everyone. I had to laugh and tell him that was just my mother’s laundry. All I ever told my dad is that I did get VA benefits for him and my mother. I never told him how much. It took me a year to get them started and the VA went back to day one to start the checks. The first check got me out of a financial bind with their own personal money. My parents weren’t rich by any means, but my mother was very good with money. I just wish I had listened better when she was taking me with her to take care of their financial affairs. My mother never knew that everything was okay as far as money was ooncerned, she was just happy that she was being taken care of. When I took her to assisted living she thought she was in a huge house and had maids who were cleaning and cooking for her. Oh, the beauty of our minds! Thank you VA for making life so much easier not only for me but for my parents! DR – 11/11/12

No comments:

Post a Comment