Friday, April 26, 2013

He Stopped Loving Her Today....

When I first heard about George Jones dying today, I immediately had some memories come flooding back. My mother loved country music, and my passion has always been rock and roll. There are a few country songs that I really like and the song by George Jones, He Stopped Loving Her Today, was my favorite by him. I remember my mother was in the car with me and that song came on. I listened to the words that day and I told my mother, the man in the song died! My mother said, well haven’t you ever listened to the words? I told her no. I said that’s one of the saddest songs I’ve ever heard. It still has remained one of my favorites. Another time I watched a music video with my mother at her house. It was by Martina McBride and it’s called Freedom Rings. I had only heard the chorus on the Hannity and Combs radio broadcast. I couldn’t believe it was about domestic violence. Of course my mother told me the history of it. Another time I taught a friend of mine how to do makeup on some children who were doing a benefit for a man. Well, I knew this man’s name and the only person I knew by that name is a preacher. I couldn’t understand why this particular school was doing the benefit down at the Tivoli for him. I was down there the night of the benefit to help and then they announced that the “guest” was also going to wear the makeup that I sold. I was amazed to say the least. Well, my friend told me that I could stay for the benefit and I thought I would at least stay for the first part. The principal of the school came out and announced that he had known this man since he was in the second grade and followed his career. I thought how could that be, the principal is too young and the man I know is at retirement age. Well, when the “guest” came out I nearly fell out of my seat. He was an up and coming country music star. The next day I went over to my mother’s house and asked her if she knew this guy. She proceeded to tell me his history and how good he is. I then told her what had happened and I had wished I had told her. She would have loved to have been there. Well, I have other memories, but I have thought a lot about my mother today and how she always straightened me out on “who is who” in the country music world. But, I still have “He Stopped Loving Her Today” on my mind. DR 4/26/13

No comments:

Post a Comment