Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My Valentine

I’m afraid I was a little misleading when I posted on Facebook that I was taking My Valentine out to a steak dinner tonight. I also put that he is younger than me and very handsome. Well, all of this is true, except I didn’t put that it was my grandson, Christopher. Now, do you really think I am going to share who my Valentine really is on Facebook??? We had a really nice dinner, and I enjoyed spending time with him. I only have two grandsons and they are both wonderful young men. When I took him home, it seemed a little strange talking to a 20 year old about dating. I guess I should have talked to him sooner. He gave me some really good tips. I guess I need to explain here that I have never been the “typical grandmother.” My grandsons really do call me a cougar and I didn’t know what that term even meant. I have to admit that it is true because almost everyone I have gone out with have been younger than me. So far nobody has complained about the age difference. Christopher told me tonight that he was amazed that I am handling my life as well as I am. He really thought that Charles and my mother died only a year ago. I told him it will be three years in March. He said no wonder you’re doing so well. Yes, time really flies by and life goes on. I heard someone say to put an empty picture frame beside your bed, and each morning picture that you will be in that picture frame with your special someone. Well, you know I did. I knew I had just the frame because I could never find the right picture to put in it. On one side it has a verse, “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau” Each morning I look at that empty frame and I say, Thank you God I know that you know who you have in mind for me, I just wish you would hurry up and let me know who it is. I’m really not in that big a hurry. Each year I’m alone, it seems I like my privacy and my solitude even more. Sounds a little crazy, doesn’t it? Well, just think about it—I can do anything I choose. I also thank God that I had such a wonderful husband who taught me how to live after he was gone. We make a lot of choices in our life, and I know about the wrong ones I have made. But, I am where I am today because of those choices. Don’t complain about your circumstances. You can always change them. Sometimes it takes real guts to step out and decide to change. DR 2/13/13

No comments:

Post a Comment